Wednesday, March 24, 2010

René Geneva Design eco-chic bridal wear

Rene Geneva
Eco-Chic fashions by Rene

It’s been a while since we’ve had a new eco-friendly designer and I’m thrilled to be able to introduce you to René Geneva Design. While the term ‘eco’ is just now really releasing the stigma of being ‘non-attractive’ and taking it’s rightful place among some of the more innovative designs, with really innovative designers

What types of gowns/dresses are girls asking you for (either type of material (cotton, silk) style, shape etc.)?

Since our specialty is corsetry, we get a lot of creative brides who want to incorporate corsets on top of their dresses. Our latest favorite combination was a bride who combined our 3/4 length 25002E Evening Dress with an embroidered Riding Corset in a gun metal. It was beautiful. We also have brides who have us shape them with corsets, but use cover fabrics so you can't tell.. its always flattering.

Why did you decide to do an eco-line?

I've had a clothing line since 1997 but it started in night club wear that incorporated a lot of PVC - not so great for the earth. I had absolutely no idea however, and when I started looking into green building as architecture has always been an inspiration of mine - I figured that there must be a way to incorporate that into fashion. Since it was 2003, there was very little textiles to choose from so I relied a lot on formaldehyde-free silks. Lucky for me, other eco-textiles were mainly upholstery fabrics, and corsets benefit the most from the heavier fabrics. It didn't take but a year or so for more fabrics to hit the market to have more choices with hemp blends and whatnot. Also, I started picking up fabrics through traveling from small villages that was nothing but eco-friendly - such as the bark fabric I use from Central America... its literally beaten down bark mixed with water. I've seen similar bark fabric made from coconuts as well.

What makes you create the type of designs you do and is there anyone who inspires you?

There are a lot of people who inspire me, but no one I could name. I love people watching, and I am the style of designer that will notice the odd ball in the crowd that is wearing a layered combination or a new look that is all their own that is just really stunning - and that inspires me. But mostly I am inspired by pretty ethereal things.. such as the shapes that the tops of the Alps made when I ended up on an adjacent mountaintop absolutely alone dirt-surfing, stuck in Switzerland (which didn't suck - but I was stuck none-the-less), and terrified because I was hearing this eerie noise in the wind that was getting louder and impending... I stopped and stretched - which turned into a personal yoga session, and I could do nothing but feel like I was in an high-budget Saturday Night Live skit. I turned around to finally see about 60 cows coming down the mountain into the field right behind me and they were all wearing an old-fashioned cow bell that together was making an incredible noise like the cross between a vintage children's toy and a spooky soundtrack you may hear in Children of the Corn. You can't beat life for inspiration.

How long does it take to create a dress and what are your price ranges?

To design a dress could take a day to months. To make it, we average 6-8 weeks since we hand dye the colors and usually end up custom patterning it for our bride. Our prices range from $800-$4000

Anything else you want the readers to know about your designs?

Just finished a new design that isn't released yet.. and I'll let you have the sneak peak... consider that my penance for taking so long to get back to you! If you need it higher quality for print, let me know.. I can email it to you separately. Photos below are by La Dolce Vita Photography. Its made from a hemp/silk blend coupled with silk chiffon. It took and episode of Project Runway plus the Darjeeling Limited to make all those roses!

For more information: René Geneva Design, LLC Sustainable~Organic~Contemporary~Apparel™

Retail/Wholesale: http://EcoChicClothing.com
The Trunk Show: http://TheTrunkShowAustin.com

Office - 512-448-0690
Toll Free- 877-34-Dress
Cell- 512-762-2918

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
BridalEase © 2008 Por *Templates para Você*